[bksvol-discuss] Re: using machines for what they were meant to do

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 08:41:53 -0400

Hi all,

Jake, interesting post and informative. Consider me one of those who would be happy to mark up books. As one who has spent the last two weeks writing HTML, learning a few more mark-up tags shouldn't be too difficult. Hey, write up a cheat-sheet, and we're good to go.

I think adding a slash to an ending tag makes a lot of sense. It's a standardized code that everyone understands, and it really, really isn't that difficult, folks.

I actually love HTML because I have complete control over my document, I mean complete control. I can see where my instructions are. I don't have to pray that the WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get" editor is doing what I told it to do. I know it is, because I can see the tags I put there. It's a power trip, I know it is, but what can I say. I like having power over The Word. <smiling>

So, making tags for bookshare would be a snap if we agreed to make them like HTML. I understand HTML. It makes sense.

Just a bit of trivia for your reading pleasure. Printers use a mark-up language called LaTex. It's like XML or HTML. So, perhaps if we used coding that was like HTML, the publisher quality books would be converted to braille more easily? <smiling> I suspect that putting LaTex books into DAISY is easier than some other things. Don't worry, folks, you don't have to learn either HTML or LaTex. I'm just offering trivia for a Thursday morning.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring