[bksvol-discuss] Re: uploading question

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 05:45:35 -0800 (PST)

Hi Robin,

  If you release a book you've been validating, it goes back to the download
list, all of your changes are lost, and someone else can pick it up and
validate it.  The book goes back to square one basically.

  If you upload a book, you are presented with a similar form to when it was
submitted already filled out with the info that the submitter put in.  (You can
make any changes you want to the data in case the submitted entered inaccurate
data.) You enter the name of the file you've been working on, press upload, and
the file is transmitted to Bookshare. Wait for the screen to change!  A program
reads your file, checks the number of errors (like proper names, etc), gives
you a rating for the book (excellent, good or fair), and checks to see if the
book is adult content (lots of violent or sexy words).  You can change the
rating if you want (maybe all of the foreign words are spelled correctly) but I
would recommend leaving the adult content choice alone (unless it should be
adult content but the program missed it).  There's a box in case you need to
say anything to the admin person. You then press upload, and wait for a thank
you screen to appear.  The admin person Gustavo then
 reviews
 everything and approves the book for inclusion into the Bookshare collection,
or rejects the book and puts it back on the download list.

  The other option that you didn't mention, so I assume you don't know about
it, is to Renew the book.  When you download a book, you have one week to
finish editing it.  If you're not done editing, but you need a little more
time, you can renew the book.  This option doesn't show up until 2-3 days
before the validation time expires.  When you click on Renew, you have one more
week to finish validating the book.

  HTH (hope this helps), Carrie

Robin Mandell <robinmandell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi,

I'm just verifying a book right now. No better way to learn than by
doing. I'm uncertain of the difference between Uploading and Releasing.
Can someone explain?