[bksvol-discuss] Re: txt validation/page breaks

  • From: Robin Mandell <robinmandell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:50:07 -0500

Cindy,

Now that you've converted it to plain text, why don't you try converting it back to rtf? Not sure, but you might be able to solve your problem that way.

At 08:40 PM 12/03/2006, you wrote:
I downloaded a copy of Plum Bun that had been on the
list for a while and that people were having trouble
with. I have a copy of the book, not the exact same
one but the text and pagination of the text are the
same.

However, even though it was an rtf file, I'm pretty
sure, something in it causes my Word, no matter which
version I use, to crash within a few seconds. I tried
releasing and re-downloading it, checking my computer
to be sure it's in top-running condition,  waiting a
day.

I have discovered, however, that I can validate it in
txt. Of course, not only any font styles but hard page
breaks disappear when saved, as it reverts back to
txt.

I can put in page numbers--in fact, I think they're
there, just in the wrong places--but how do I indicate
page breaks? I'm guessing I should use line spaces
before and after, but how many? Or should I release
this and let someone else have it. I can't remember
what the problem was in the first place that it was
released and I felt I needed to take it.

Apparently it is an important book--first published in
1929 (not 1928, as the submitter thought) it's part of
the "Rediscovered Literature of Historical
Significance" series, and part of a "Black Women
Writers" series, written by by one of the Harlem
Renaissance movement's "most important and prolific
authors." --interesting, since her output consists or
4 novels.

I suspect it's required in Women's and in Black
Studies programs in universities and colleges.

Having finally discovered a form in which I can work
on it, I'll await opinions as to what I should do
before I do any more work on it.