[bksvol-discuss] Re: trouble with page numbers

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 16:31:48 -0700

Hi Scott,

I'd have to understand why the book's numbering isn't in accord with yours
before giving good advice.  The way that it should work is that once page 1
has been accurately located, numbering should follow sequentially after
that.  If it doesn't, the reason why needs to be determined in order to
understand why and to be accurate.  Here are some reasons why a book's page
numbers might be off from what you think they ought to be.  Sometimes, pages
containing illustrations are not numbered in the hard copy of the book, but
come between sequentially numbered pages.  Since illustrations are not
preserved in Bookshare's books, I'd delete pages containing only
illustrations that are not numbered, but at the bottom of the page before
the illustration or picture, make a proofreader's note of what the page
contained, if there is a picture caption, for instance.  If there is no text
on the page, and you can't provide a picture description yourself or with
assistance, then I'd just delete the un numbered page.  Only do this if you
are ABSOLUTELY sure that this is what is going on.

Another cause for page numbering being inaccurate can be that the person who
scanned the book might have had their OCR recognizing two pages as one page.
In this instance, the number of pages would be HUGELY off, and you'd need to
determine where the missing page breaks belong, insert them, and number the
pages properly.

There are other reasons that can cause page numbering to be off, these are
just the two most common reasons.

I know it all sounds complicated, but we're all here to help you out when
you need it.

Happy proofreading.

Mayrie

  _____