[bksvol-discuss] Re: the word "chapter"

  • From: Ali Al-hajamy <aalhajamy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 12:20:16 -0400

I don't use a Braille device anymore (though I still use BRF), however when I did, the word chapter wasn't necessary for chapters that were titled, rather than numbered. Because most of the time, titled chapters are in all-capitals, I would just search for four spaces, followed by two instances of dot 6, which is the Braille code for a word in all-caps, and that skipped me between chapters efficiently, but the word "Chapter" before the title would have accomplished the same thing, if it had been there. When the titles weren't formatted correctly, or weren't in all-caps, that made skipping around especially tough and annoying, because there was no way of distinguishing them from the rest of the text (this is made even worse in collections of short stories, where, if I'm rereading them, or the author wishes that the reader read the stories in a specific order that isn't necessarily the order they appear in the book [this isn't a collection, but Julio Cortázar's Hopscotch is a good example of that concept {see footnote below}], skipping over and between stories may be a necessity for propper enjoyment). Fortunately, that never happens anymore, because volunteers are much more careful about propper markup than they used to be back in the ancient, long-forgotten years of...uh... 2002-6.

* Concerning Cortázar's book *amusingly, Bookshare has something like 22 books by him, every single one of which is in Spanish): At the beginning of Hopscotch, or Rayuela, for all yall Spanish reading Bookshare users, which is composed of 155 chapters, is the following text:
"In its own way, this book consists of many books, but two books above all.

The first can be read in a normal fashion and it ends with Chapter 56, at the close of which there are three garish little stars which stand for the words The End. Consequently, the reader may ignore what follows with a clean conscience.

The second should be read by beginning with Chapter 73 and then following the sequence indicated at the end of each chapter. In case of confusion or forgetfulness, one need only consult the following list: 73 - 1 - 2 - 116 - 3 - 84 - 4 - 71 - 5 - 81 - 74 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 93 - 68 - 9 - 104 - 10 - 65 - 11 - 136 - 12 - 106 - 13 - 115 - 14 - 114 - 117 - 15 - 120 - 16 - 137 - 17 - 97 - 18- 153 - 19 - 90 - 20 - ..." And so on and such like. As you can see, the ability to easily skip between chapters is pretty much vital in such a text, and propper markup, and probably the word "chapter" before each number) would make that far easier than it otherwise would be.

On 19-Jul-12 11:51, Mayrie ReNae wrote:
Hi Cindy,

No, simply bold and enlarge the title of the chapter.  There is no need to
add the word "chapter" here as the problem was with numbered chapters not
always being seen by the conversion tools when the title was simply a
numeral.

I suppose, that for the sake of those using braille devices, your idea is a
good one so that folks can use the "find" command to locate the next chapter
in a book.

I'll leave it to them to comment on that, but as far as the tools working
properly, in the instance you talk about, the word "chapter" isn't
necessary.

Mayrie