[bksvol-discuss] Re: the symbols called braces

  • From: "John Simpson" <John@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 14:24:09 -0800

I think perhaps we ought to consult a style manual. I have just learned that
brackets can be enclosed within parentheses and braces can be enclosed
within brackets.  I also know that braces, brackets, parenthses and  'less
than' and 'greater than' take on very different meanings in programming
languages, so I may be confusing the two.

 Our recommended use for brackets for  [BLANK PAGE] may be an extension of
the rule for adding [italics added] to a quote that you have modified. It
provides explanatory information for what is going on.  On the other hand,
maybe it's just a convention used by the Bookshare conversion process.

  _____