[bksvol-discuss] Re: the symbols called braces

  • From: "John Simpson" <John@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 14:24:09 -0800

I think perhaps we ought to consult a style manual. I have just learned that
brackets can be enclosed within parentheses and braces can be enclosed
within brackets.  I also know that braces, brackets, parenthses and  'less
than' and 'greater than' take on very different meanings in programming
languages, so I may be confusing the two.


 Our recommended use for brackets for  [BLANK PAGE] may be an extension of
the rule for adding [italics added] to a quote that you have modified. It
provides explanatory information for what is going on.  On the other hand,
maybe it's just a convention used by the Bookshare conversion process.




From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Martha Rafter
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2012 12:06 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: the symbols called braces


Yes, if I use the shift and hit the same key as the bracket, I hear my JAWS
say Left brace or right brace.  Are you saying that if I needed to have two
sets of brackets one inside the other, the inside ones should be

braces?  I hope I won't need to use them!  Thanks!


From: Cindy Rosenthal <mailto:grandcyn77@xxxxxxxxx>  

Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2012 1:59 PM

To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 

Subject: [bksvol-discuss] the symbols called braces


I'm pretty sure that  braces are the the things on the same key that has the
bracket;,  and if you hit that ky plus shift  you'd get the brace: }? I'd
describe it as a parenthsis with a little pointy thing  poking out from the
middle. (Judy, hopefully you can do better. It would be used inside
brackets, if you needed " bracket something else. You probably won't need it
for bookshare  proofing but might come across their use in a book

Other related posts: