[bksvol-discuss] Re: ten validations

  • From: Tony Baechler <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:03:44 -0700

Hello Cindy. Thank you very much for your offer. I am not a teacher for the very reason that I know I would not be good at it. I don't have the patience. As you've just pointed out, my way of speaking would probably not be compatible with trying to teach. Anyway, because of what you've said (I am not taking it negatively, I really do appreciate it) as well as the other responses, I think the best thing for me to do is to stop posting entirely. I have considered that lately anyway but I think that is really best. I will probably leave the list fairly soon also but I'm undecided on that. It's interesting to read the new book submissions. Anyway, sorry all for coming off the wrong way. I admit that I don't do well talking to people. I have limited communication skills and Cindy is not the first one to point out things like this. While I appreciate Cindy's offer, I think the best thing is for me to be silent. I naturally like to help people, but obviously my tone is misunderstood. Hopefully this will end the arguing that seems to go on after I post and we'll have a happier list. I have nothing further to say on this. I doubt if it would do much good anyway. Thank you again Cindy for helping me out with this.

At 11:23 AM 6/18/2005 -0700, you wrote:

Tony,

I read Gerald's and Dave's responses before writing to
be sure I didn't repeat anything.

I know you tried to be helpful and kind, but there's
something in the tone of all your messages that comes
off as abrupt and dictatorial and a little
superior-sounding. You may be one of these people, a
couple of whom I am now friends with, who are brusque
and seem stand-offish (if that's the right word) but
are very nice when you get to know them and you
understand that the tone and manner in which they
speak should be ignored. It's harder to write than to
speak, because when aperson speaks what they say can
be softened with a smile, and that's harder to do when
one writes -- although that's why so many of us put
(smile) when we write -- to soften what we're saying
so people won't misundrstand.

Also, many people say "may I suggest" instead of "I
would like to suggest;" it's a bit softer -- but even
then, some people use it not as a suggestion but to
mean "you should do this," which, again, sounds
dictatorial. If one says someting like,"What I do . .
."  throws out the suggestion and allows the person
receiving it to make his/her own decisions.

I don't  know, really, how to tell you to write
differently, since your manner of speaking and writing
is you and you've been doing it all your life. Perhaps
you're a teacher -- my husband has the unfortunate
habit of sometimes speaking to individuals and in
small groups as if he were lecturing before a class,
and it is very annoying. Sometimes I've interrupted
before he really gets the person to whom he's speaking
upset and rephrase what he's saying.

If you want, and you'd like people on the list to
realize get your message but have it put in a slightly
different way, you could send it to me first and I
could try to rewrite it in a way that you might
approve. I'd send it back to you for posting. Dave of
Gerald might be willing to do the same thing. They are
very helpful people.

Cindy