[bksvol-discuss] Re: technology for blind proofreaders

  • From: Chanelle Hill <chanellemh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:36:44 -0500

On 4/2/09, Tracy Carcione <carcione@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would not actually translate a file to be proofread into Grade 2,
> because that introduces its own set of errors.  But I have turned on the
> option on my Braillenote to display the text in Grade 2.  Of course,
> corrections still have to be entered in computer braille.
> My biggest problem proofreading with the BN is still the mysterious format
> characters it displays--the gazillion $fm's.  If I edit a book in Word, I
> feel like I know what's what.  On the BN, I'm still not so sure.
> But other kinds of notetakers doubtless have their own set of quirks.
> Tracy
>
>> Hi everybody,
>> In my search for the best overall tech choices for the best price, I'd be
>> extremely interested to know if any blind proofreaders use the braille+ or
>> Icon attached to a braille display.
>>
>> For all blind proofreaders, do you translate the book into grade two
>> braille or would that interfere with computer braille symbols too much?  I
>> realize this won't be easy, but I'm determined to get it done.
>> thanks much,
>> Nancy Martin
>> Oklahoma

Dear Tracy and list members,
My BrailleNote also displays those annoying $fm symbols. E's
suggestion about changing punctuation got me thinking and playing
around with my BrailleNote. There is a way to change the punctuation
that the BrailleNote speaks, but I have not seen an option for this in
displaying Braille. It is possible to change the reading mode by
pressing the outer thumb key on the left and the outer one on the
right. It cycles through reading, layout, automatic, and editing. I
had my BrailleNote set to editing, which displays all the format
markers. When I change it to automatic, blank lines are displayed but
format markers such as $c (center line) or bold and italics marks $fsi
$fsb are not displayed. Deleting $fm doesn't seem to make a difference
in the text, but I am not quite sure. Maybe the BrailleNote MPower has
an option to change punctuation level for the Braille display. I am
using an old BN classic, but I should be getting the MPower soon. I
hope this was somewhat helpful. You are probably already aware of the
things I mentioned.
I was quite surprised when transferring a book I proofread on the
BrailleNote to the computer went smoothly using ActiveSync. I checked
to make sure that the formatting was not messed up and did the rest of
my editing in Word. Page breaks were protected. If anyone happens to
read The Venetian Mask and finds that formatting is weird or the book
is difficult to read, please let me know.

Chanelle