[bksvol-discuss] Re: technical question about the listserv

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:56:44 -0500

Monica,

Yes, that's the answer.  Sarah wrote a tip last year for filtering OT
messages in Outlook which could be adapted for the purpose.  I've included
it below.

Gerald

This is how to filter in Outlook Express using the keyboard.

You must be in the message list, not in a message when you do this.
Hit alt-T for the tools menu.  Arrow down to or press r for the Rules menu
item.  In the submenu that appears press enter on mail.  A dialog with the
existing mail rules appears.  Tab to new and press space.  Now you first
have a list of the conditions that trigger your rule.  In this example you
would choose "subject line contains specific words".  Press space on the
item you want.  If you press enter it will not work.  Tab to the next list.
This is where you choose the action to be taken on messages that meet the
rule specifications.  Usually I use move to folder.  Again you must press
space on the item you want not enter.
Press tab to get to a really unique control that lets you enter a string to
match, and the folder you wish to send messages to.  The first line will
say, "apply this rule after messages arrive."
The next line you arrow down to should say something like "when the subject
contains specific words."  Your screen reader should jabber the last few
words again, which means they are highlighted.  Just press enter and you
will be placed in an edit box that lets you replace "specific words" with
the actual string you want to match.  Once you have typed something, like
"OT" with spaces arround it, tab to the add button and press space.  Then
tab to OK and press enter.  Now you can arrow down another line to hear
"move it to the specified."  "Specified"
should be repeated by your screen reader.  Again press enter.  You will be
in a familiar dialog that lets you specify the folder you want the messages
placed in.  When you have chosen one, such as deleted items, tab to Ok and
press enter.
Now read the entire rule discription box to see if it sounds correct.
If it does tab to the rule name edit and type something in.  Then Tab to ok
to add the completed rule.  You can now  go to close to get out of the rules
dialog, or you can choose to run your new rule to get rid of whatever is
already in your in-box with OT in the subject line.

I have a few of these for getting rid of some consistent types of spam.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity