[bksvol-discuss] Re: taming step 1 into a smaller list

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:48:37 -0700

Gary:

It isn't always like what u say here.  Sometimes there are graphs or
charts that need to be described, sometimes pagination issues w/a
book, etc., that can be done only by a person who actually has the
print book, & often only by a person w/eyesight. Some of these folks
qualify for bookshare as they themselves are print-disabled but many
do not. So the blind person cleans up as much as s/he can--yet there
are still issues to be resolved which could potentially cause the book
to be rejected, e.g. paging. I think whoever uploads the book gets the
credit & that needs to be worked out by the validators themselves.
Often, as I said, the folks we're talking about don't need the credits
anyway. But if there's credits to be worked out then the 2 validators
need to do that between themselves like big boys & girls so as not to
create issues for the Bookshare staff, cuz that's not right, either.

On 12/14/07, Gary Petraccaro <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Since people are getting credits for this stuff, how is BookShare supposed
> to apportion
> this.  This just makes more work for the staff.  If one can't do a book
> because of unfamiliarity with the material, punt.  If it's so bad that a
> single person can't fix it all, reject.  If one just hasn't the time, teach
> yourself not to over commit by doing shorter books or taking a brief
> vacation.  Heavens, this isn't
> rocket science, and yet, I never see this issue go away.  It's been around
> for what seems years.

Jackie McBride
& Check out my homepage at:
www.abletec.serverheaven.net