[bksvol-discuss] Re: taking out headers which repeat

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 08:59:34 -0500

Hi,
I am having some success using a program called NoteTab. The free version
will work for these purposes. Here is how I do things. It worked on my
first book and I am using it on the Python one.

After downloading an RTF or Doc file, I use Word to save it as a text file.
Next I bring it into Notetab.
I defined the page break character to a JAWS dictionary entry so that it
speaks when I land on it.
Next, I select the whole document with Control+A.
After that, I go to the Modify menu and select trim blanks. This gets rid
of trailing spaces.
To find page breaks, I use Control+F and type ^b, then Enter. The default
is to search down toward the bottom of the document.
F3 searches in the same direction. Shift+F3 reverses the direction of the
search.
I make sure that section headers are directly to the right of lines that
contain page breaks.
The first time I find a section header, I copy it to the clipboard and make
sure I include the page break character.
I then move the cursor below the first occurrence of a section header and
use Control+R for the search and replace dialog.
I paste into the Find What field.
Then I tab to the Replace With field and paste again.
Then, I delete everything but the page break character from the Replace
With field.
Then I press Alt+A for Replace all.

I also get rid of occurrences of more than two line breaks and multiple
spaces.

Notetab is at http://www.notetab.com.

After I have gone through the file, I bring the text version back into Word
and save it as an RTF.

Thanks.

Jim
James D Homme,
Usability Engineering
Highmark Inc.
james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
412-544-8177

"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are right."