[bksvol-discuss] Re: tactile aids? Re: bksvol-discuss Digest V2 #51

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:01:48 -0600

Yes, I am jealous too.  I went to a school for the blind as well as to
public school, but they only had a small number of tactile things.  We also
had a truly enormous globe, but not much else.
Most of the things I had represented for me were done with that puffy glue,
which people used on enlarged copies of maps.  They worked since I got an A
in geography using them.  One map was done with a different type of glue and
I almost passed out from the awful smell when taking a test on eastern Asia.
lol

I wish they would have used the thermoform machine more in copying tactile
images instead of only for copying Braille.

I have heard of places that had representations of buildings in miniature,
but they usually don't let anyone touch those either, so it defeats the
purpose of having them in my opinion.  I think I once got to touch a couple
models of some unique buildings in Minneapolis, but there were too many
distractions, so I was a bit hurried and confused about what was what.
Other than that, I have only seen some representations of the Eiffel Tower.
It is actually amazing how many touchable things a person is never allowed
to examine.  I get tired of only being able to examine animal pelts. :-)

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity/