[bksvol-discuss] tabs bullets and plank pages

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:46:27 -0500

I am preparing to upload something that I really don't want messed up. I am concerned about several issues.

First, I didn't know about the Kurzweil issue that may cause blank pages to disappear from RTFs when I edited the book. Now I don't know of a very easy way to go through the book to find the blank pages and insert something like the page number or [picture]. I don't want the blank pages to disappear because the page numbering is perfect and will be even without DAISY tags since the first scanned page is actually page 1 in this case. Does anyone have any ideas? The only thing I can think of is to upload in KES format, but that will limit who could work on it.

Second, the book contains useful tabs, which conversion will remove. I just don't know how many spaces to replace the tabs with. I really am discusted by that problem, since tabs should be a valid and recognized character. The problem is really bookshare's issue and it should be fixed sometime during their improvement process. For now i would just like a number of spaces that would be most likely to work okay.

Third, has anyone ever seen a bullet in a DAISY or BRF file? If anyone has reason to believe that they do not come out correctly, can you give me a suggestion of a character to use instead of the bullets? Unfortunately star will not work that well in this case. There are too many used for footnotes and I don't really want to give them a double purpose.

This book will most likely cause copyright questions, but I wrote an extensive comment that i hope the validator can pass on to admin to get the book pushed through the first time. :-)

The book is called "What Does the Bible Really Teach?" And is really ment to be like a textbook that answers specific Bible questions by explaining illustrating, and providing large numbers of specific Bible verses to support the reasoning presented. To someone not used to the blabbing of Bible citations by a synthesizer it could be annoying. :-) I hope they don't come out strangely after translation.
Each page has a number of numbered paragraphs and corresponding questions at the bottom of the page. Not perfect for BRF format, but I really couldn't do anything about it within this lifetime.

Please write if you have any suggestions or if you would be willing to be a careful validator for this book. With careful I only mean putting it through as little conversion or other steps that might introduce errors as possible. It shouldn't need much editing because I was about as careful as I could be while reading it, and i also had help from my husband when I came accross problem spots. As always, I make no claims of perfection, though. :-)

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity