[bksvol-discuss] Re: suggestions for handling books

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:47:50 -0400

No one is accusing anyone of actually being cliquish. I only pointed out that when I was a new volunteer and looked at the checkout list and all of its holds that sure was the impression I got and several others have agreed with me that it gives that impression. It was after subscribing to this list that I learned that there were some very good reasons for holds. As for sorting the checkout list, there are already several ways to sort it. The default is by date, but there are several links just before the list begins that if clicked will give you other sorts. There is author, quality, title and without going to the site to look I think there is one or two others. Clicking whichever sort you choose a second time will give you the same sort in reverse order. Sorting by holds is not one of those sorts though. You can do a search for them. There is a search field above the list in which you can enter the word hold and get a list of all the books on hold, but I think what we really want is the books not on hold. It would be nice if we could place a minus sign just before the word to exclude it like we can at Google, but the search in the checkout list doesn't seem to have that capability. As few books as there are right now, though, it shouldn't be much harder to just arrow down through them to find the books not on hold. The reason right now that it is so hard to find a book without a hold is not because there are so many books to wade through. It is because there are so few books at all.

On 7/26/2012 9:43 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

First of all, I'd like to say here and now, that nobody here is trying to be cliquey. What is happening is that scanners have found proofers with whom they enjoy working. That doesn't mean that they are averse to working with others. All it means is that for one reason or another, the partnership meshes.

I, for example, work with two or three people. With one person, we're working on a series of historical mysteries. We've started working on them together and will probably finish them. With another volunteer who submits religious material, I proof some of her stuff because I am interested in the books which she is scanning. As a matter of fact, she wrote me the other day to ask me if I were interested in proofing a book on Hildegard Bingin. Since I like Bingin's music and am interested in her life, I said yes.

We need more scanners. We need more people who are willing to scan books. We probably need an active scanner's campaign.

Perhaps books on hold could be moved to a different web page? Or, could books which are not on hold be moved to the top of the list? The books on the checkout list seem to be arranged by date of submission. This may not prove to be the most effective. Perhaps arranging them in two groups, one with holds and one without? That way one wouldn't have to slog through all the holds to get to books which are available for proofing?

I hope to be able to attend the meeting this afternoon and bring my suggestions there. Perhaps, having an IT person at the meeting would be good. You could then run ideas by that person to see what would be efficient and what would or wouldn't work.

Again, nobody is cliquey. It's just that nobody knows what you'd like to do. Tell us! We're not mind readers, much as that talent would be useful sometimes.

Ann P.