[bksvol-discuss] Re: suggestions for books searches at BS?

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 08:15:42 -0800 (PST)

When I want to search for a book I try to pick out one word or part of a word
that is pretty unique in either the title or author. I have found it's easier
to do it that way than to search by author's name or title name because it
could be spelled incorrectly.

  If I can't find something unique then I pick the most unusual word in the
title or author's name and then if I get lots of results, I just control-F and
place a word in the find box and keep hitting enter until I find or don't find
it.

  If I were looking for the book A Hunting We Will Go by Steven Kellogg I would
probably search by putting the word hunting in the search box. Kellogg might be
a good choice unless the last name got spelled wrong.

  When I put hunting in the search, I come up with 26 books. It is easy for me
to scroll down to see if the book is there but a person without sight could do
Control-F and put Steve in the search box. You'd only find The Hunting Wind by
Steve Hamilton.

  If I had come up with no results under hunting I would probably have gone
ahead and done a second search on Kellogg, in which case I came up with four
results, none Steven.

  To be absolutely sure I did a search on Steven, which came up with 205
results. I would do Control-F and search for hunting on all five of the results
pages.

Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading - But I survived / Tadeusz Sobolewicz
Sign Language Products for Children including DVDs, Flash Cards, Books and
More!