[bksvol-discuss] Re: suggestion - show the validator

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 23:40:29 -0400

Dear Tracy, E, Sue, Judy, and Booksharian Friends,

When I first began validating, I didn't want my name given as the validator. I barely understood how Bookshare worked. I thought putting my name out there might get me in trouble in case I botched the job. Then I didn't even pay attention to the rating system. I just didn't want people coming after me for making mistakes.

Then, as I gained confidence, I felt modest. I thought having my name on the book would be a way of bragging.

Now, I'd really appreciate having my name posted along with the submittor's because I'd welcome constructive suggestions or observations from volunteers and readers. I do read all of my validations through, search for junk characters, spell check, do a last minute check to see that all page breaks and numbers are there. Now, I'd feel proud to think that readers, when they saw my name, felt a little more confident that they could expect the book they were considering to be accurate.

Submittors explained to me that if you click on their names, you get a list of all the books they've scanned. Oh, I want that! I'd so love to see a list of all of the books I've validated! As a user I've been looking at lists of specific volunteer's work to spare myself the trouble of starting on books which are rated excellent, but still contain many more errors than I'd like.

About a year after I began validating, my computer crashed and my record of the work I'd done was lost when my files couldn't be restored. Now, in a folder called approved, I store all of the notifications from Bookshare that a book I've validated has been accepted.as well as the validated files of the books themselves. If my name was displayed, Bookshare would have a back-up list if I needed it, of all of my validations..

From a practical standpoint, as I've gained experience, I'd love to view my first efforts, and to ease my mind, BSO them if they need it, or ask to have the file sent to me so I could put up a better version.

It's only during my third year as a volunteer that I've wished my name and records would be handled in the same way as the submittors who agree to have their names displayed. I respect anyone who prefers to maintain their privacy.

When the volunteer's name isn't given, we can still contact Claire or Carrie with our concerns.

Always with love,

Lissi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>