[bksvol-discuss] submitting

  • From: "GenePoole" <captinlogic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:37:20 -0800

Within the next few minutes I'll be submitting The Burning, by Bentely
Little. Here's the synopsis of the book. If anyone wants me to hold it for
them, let me know and I'll put hold for in the title.

   In the new book by Bram Stoker Award-winner Bentley Little, strangers
across the U.S. are each pursued by different supernatural forces as
they fall into the path of a ghost train rumbling into the present day from
a dark
chapter in American history. Switching among characters-college freshman
Angela Ramos
in Flagstaff, Ariz.; divorced park ranger Henry Cote in Canyonlands National
Park,
Utah; Jolene, fleeing her husband to Bear Flats, Calif., with eight-year-old
Skyler
in tow; and Dennis Chen, on his first cross-country road trip-Little turns
the screws
bit by bit, bringing his unfortunate charges face to face with multiple
terrors,
including haunted houses, mummified zombies, a pair of succubi and a room
full of
jarred human body parts. The novel draws from historical record and
modern-day hot-button
topics, bringing to bear immigration issues from the time of the
Transcontinental
Railroad to the present. Readers might tire of the revolving door
structure-characters
switch off on a per-chapter basis-before the stories converge in northern
Utah, and
might find the multiple strands a bit overstuffed and under-scary; still,
this novel
offers Steven King-size epic horror for those with the patience for it.