[bksvol-discuss] submitted "The Canary Islanders of Louisiana" nonfiction, history

  • From: <ohio1803@xxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 09:39:44 -0600

Hello,
And welcome to Monday!

I have submitted a book which is described below.

The book was checked out and soon after it was released back, with no comment.
It still says "Ready for Proofreading" when I looked today on "My Scans in Process" page.
Sunny Mo? Is Sunny on the discussion list?
It still shows this name on the Proofreader column, even though Sunny no longer has it checked out.

This book was scanned, edited and submitted especially for a Bookshare member who is anxious to read it.
So I hope someone may be able and interested in taking it on.
Thank you!

Rik (Richard) James

PS - I am also very sad to hear about Kim Friedman's passing. She was terrific. And we certainly will miss her. My condolences to all her family and friends.

TITLE: The Canary Islanders of Louisiana
AUTHOR: Gilbert C. Din
ISBN: 9780807124376
from book: 978-0-8071-2437-6
COPYRIGHT DATE: 1988
COPYRIGHT HOLDER: Copyright © 1988 by Louisiana State University Press
SHORT SYNOPSIS: This study encompasses a complete history of Louisiana's
isleno community from the Spanish era to the late 20th century.

LONG SYNOPSIS:
Gilbert C. Din's The Canary Islanders of Louisiana, describes, in detail,
the history of the Canary Islanders of south Louisiana from 1778 to the
present day. It tells why and how they came to Louisiana, where they were
allowed to settle, and what happened in each of the four places. Beyond the
fascinating and rarely written history, this book can also help the
genealogist to go beyond just the names and dates. The long term cultural
story is the focus, but a more valuable resource would be hard to find.. The
appendix contains the surviving ships' passenger lists of Canary Islanders
sailing to Louisiana from 1778 to 1783. This fact alone makes the book
invaluable to those seeking their Canary Islander roots.

from the book's back cover:
"Genealogists will find this book to be a must for researching on Isleño
families in Louisiana. Anthropologists will take delight in the account of
the rapidly passing antique culture still preserved by some Spanish-speaking
Isleños in remote localities. An important minority group that has become
part of Louisiana's mainstream has now received the recognition for its
history that it deserves."

volunteer comments:
This book was requested by a fellow Bookshare member, and purchased by me to
scan & submit for consideration to add to our Bookshare collection. I used
the latest version of Kurzweil K-1000 to scan it. I believe it to be of
excellent quality. I worked extra long, probably spent 3 times the time
editing it for spelling corrections as actually scanning it. The typeface
and the many Hispanic characters with the acute over the letters made the
OCR often place odd characters inside of words. There are many many proper
names of people and places and Spanish language. I set my OCR to recognize
Spanish as well as English, so as to get as much right in the scan. But even
so it was a pretty substantial undertaking. I used the K-1000 Ranked
Spelling feature exhaustively until I was down to zero corrections
recommended, or 100%. There are many, many spellings that are unusual. I
realize that some things may have escaped my detection and correction. But I
did use the Image of the scanned text to visually verify each instance of
possible correction to get this right. So if there are questions, please
feel free to contact me for any questions.

This RTF file of the book has been formatted as to the font type and size to
Arial 12 point. And headings were adjusted, book title to 20 point Bold, and
headings to 16 point Bold.
The headings include a Preface, 12 chapters of text, an Appendix which is a
group of historical Passenger Lists. Finally, there is a Bibliography, as
well as an Index.

Footnotes are plentiful, I kid you not. And they are found at the bottom of
most pages in the text. So each of those were placed in brackets. They are
numbered, and numbering begins anew with each chapter. Pages with captions
to the removed images are placed in brackets as well. The book's pagination
contains Roman numerals and regular page numbering starts with Chapter One.
Page numbers are at the top of each page with a blank line above and below
it.
For any questions, I can be reached at d28rik at msn dot com. Or by way of
the Bookshare Volunteer Discussion group, which I check periodically.