[bksvol-discuss] Re: submitted 43 books today

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 17:23:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Scott,

I didn't scan any of the books today, most were scanned and OCRed days or weeks
ago, but hadn't quite made it to the download list.  As I recall, there are
only a few books waiting to be scanned in the office (thanks to Claire who
scanned a lot today), but there are maybe 70-80 waiting to be OCRed.  There are
about 20 books that are being edited inhouse, or waiting to be edited inhouse
since they have problems of one sort or another.  Oh, and there are about a
dozen romance novels waiting to be submitted too, and a book explaining how the
year changing from 1999 to 2000 is going to cause all of our computers to crash
:-)  And of course, there are Spanish books waiting to be chopped, scanned,
OCRed and submitted too....  and there are a load of books from the University
of Illinois going thru the whole process too.  Usually when I go in, I
concentrate on one phase of the process and ignore the others.  Last week I
scanned 2 dozen books and started an OCR with about 30 books.
 This
 week I submitted them.  It just happens that way.  I will say it took me a
number of hours to submit them but that's all I did, nothing else.

By the way, if anyone picks up a book submitted by me that has a problem, the
book is still in the office, so you can write Marissa and she can help you with
it.  I would say email me, except that I'm going to New Orleans for a short
vacation next week, from Monday to Saturday so I won't be able to help then.
If you can wait 10 days, then I'll be able to help out too.

Carrie

Scott Blanks <scottsjb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Carrie,

Wow!  How do you make time to scan so many books?  Those are some pretty
impressive numbers, and I notice you've submitted, frankly, a staggering number
of books to Bookshare.  And many thanks to you by the way.  But still, how do
you manage to plow through so many titles?

Scott