[bksvol-discuss] Re: submitted 14 books

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 07:46:06 -0700 (PDT)

There are times when it seems like I do live there, especially when it's warm
outside (the office is air-conditioned but my home isn't).  In fact, I'm on
their employee email list, so I can be informed of when the internal network is
going down for maintenance, that sort of thing.

  The scanner rate is about 80-100 pages a minute, depending on the size of the
page, so it doesn't take long to scan a book.  The OCR process is what takes a
lot of time (it processes maybe 1200-1500 pages an hour). On Wednesday of this
week, I started an OCR of 28 books, and went in late yesterday to save the .rtf
files in case someone turned off the computer for the weekend.  (This happened
a couple of weeks ago, but luckily I was able to retrieve the batch of books
then.)  On Monday, I'll submit 30+ new sci-fi books and a few others.  I listed
the sci-fi books in a previous email, in case you're wondering what they are.
Anyway, the scanner is a great time saver.  We're very lucky to have it.

  Carrie

Jamie Yates <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    I guess you kind of live at the Bookshare offices sometimes smile

  But that neat scanner scans so fast that it probably doesn't take long to
scan a book. I think it is so cool how many books you can scan.

Jamie in Michigan
Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe

  Find great deals on books at Half.com.

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!