[bksvol-discuss] Re: submit better copy

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:24:43 -0400

Many of the books with missing words are submitted by a small group of people. Likewise, those who validate books with repeated missing words where lines are cut off and let them go into the collection are a small group of people.

The most common categories of books to suffer from the repeated line cut off missing word issue are romances, particularly those labeled "Christian romances." Some submitters and some validators apparently feel these books need to be submitted and approved regardless of the cut off line issue.

E.

At 02:25 AM 7/31/2006, you wrote:

This missing words problem is one thing that is so easy to prevent. It comes from people not holding the book flat. Even with my OpenBook, I do not get missing words. I occasionally get words run together, and in the index to the last book I scanned the page numbers were sometimes run together, but I don't get missing words. I understand that some large books may be hard to keep flat, but most books are not that fat. It does take some work to push down on every pass of the scanner, and the consciensciousness to want to do a good quality scan. That's perhaps where the problem is. I am not aware of any other reason for missing words. If there is one, I would like to hear it, because I have not encountered it. Of course, if the text is not recognized as text, as in a cursive style, or a huge font, that is one thing. But it seems from what I hear in discussions of this problem here that these missing words are in a fairly standard font, as part of the body of the text. I would bet, Cindy, that most of the missing words and parts of words you find are near the spine. Am I right?