[bksvol-discuss] stumped by an accent again

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 20:20:34 -0500

Dear Booksharian Friends,

Sun Dancing, a book about monks on a tiny, rocky, island off the coast of Ireland in the sixth century has its share of accented words, most of which I can handle like vowels with the acute accent.

But, there's a bird called a puifin that has me stumped because the f has an acute accent. In word 2003 using Jaws I can put the acute on a vowel by pressing the jaws insert key on the num pad with number 4, and then pressing the vowel I want and then enter. Or, I can press control with the apostrophe and then the vowel with the same result, the vowel with the acute. Insert 4 doesn't have f acute among its scroll of choices, and if I press control apostrophe and f, I get nothing.

It won't be the end of the world if readers don't get to see the acute accent on the f and I can put a note before the text begins advising readers that the f in this bird's name is accented with the acute. I'm just checking here in case anyone knows a way to tell the computer I'd like the letter f with the acute over it in the same space.

While I wait to see if anyone has any ideas about this, I'm going to scoot over and write that note to readers before I forget. This speck of an island is the setting for most of the book so the Puifin is mentioned several times.

This book has many words not found in an English dictionary which are defying Google and the Irish dictionary when I look them up like schisty, skeilic and leacht. Since I'm doing this for pleasure and not for a class, guessing from context is working most of the time.

When this book which Amber W. scanned so well gets into the collection, don't let these obscure words scare you off. The author's language as he describes the spare yet biologically rich island, and the Monk's troubled or blissful spiritual thoughts, is beautiful and the depiction of their surviving on the most minimal of essentials is lyrical and evocative.

We've talked about clear, even inspiring descriptions of illustrations lately. This book has no illustrations and doesn't need them because Moorhouse uses words so masterfully that you'll feel the slope and poke of rocks beneath your feet, the salt mist will cool your skin, and hear chants and bird calls as you read.

I'm on page 75 with about 209 more pages to validate. With the latin and Gaelic and all, it's a slow go and I want to get back to work.

Thank you in advance for your ideas.

Always with love,

Lissi