[bksvol-discuss] Re: stumped

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 20:04:37 -0700

Kim,

When you are using your screen reader in word, does it normally say page field before page numbers? If so, then ignore my suggestion because it is likely something else that is your problem and I haven't a clue why it should always be 5.

However, if your screen reader doesn't usually say page field before page numbers, that to me indicates it is something that has been set up in Word, not just a simple number 5 on every page. It may be that someone set up automatic page numbering in this book, but it isn't working correctly. Automatic page numbering is a feature of word that lets you insert a code somewhere on a page and it will automatically put the page number there. You can adjust this code for all kinds of options like starting with something other than 1, using roman numerals, incrementing by something other than 1 and so on. In this case, even though it is somehow using page number code, it is putting the same number, 5, on every page.

Now, you probably care more about how to get rid of the thing easily, rather than the nitpicking details of how it got there. You need sighted help to do this (partly because I don't know how to describe everything in terms of keystrokes and partly because of the way Word works.) First you need to go to the View menu in Word. Arrow down to headers and footers and hit return. Two things will happen (part of the weird way Word does this that makes it hard to describe what to do). A dialog box with a bunch of little icons and buttons in it will open and at the same time, your cursor will be put in the header part of your page (not to be confused with the header to be stripped for bookshare, though that text may indeed be in this part of the page). Using the arrow keys should move you through this header area if there is anything there. If it says anything about page number in this area, highlight that and then hit delete. Then, hit alt-c (the alt key and c at the same time). This should get you out of the header area and close the dialog box. Your page field numbers should all be gone if this is indeed the problem.

Hope this helps,

Misha

Kim Friedman wrote:

Hi, gang, I don't know if this has happened to you, but I'm encountering something in a project I've never seen before. Here's the thing that has me stumped. I'm told by my screen reader (I'm proofing this in Microsoft Word 2003 in case you're curious) that I'm on p. 12. Now comes the weird part. I start reading the next page and there's a header which I have to strip, then each page says "(header consisting either of book title or author's name) "page field 5". What is this all about? Not every page can be number 5. Please help me out as I'm not sure what to do about this one. I'm used to seeing page numbers that change arithmetically by one digit, not staying the same number. This is weird. Regards, an extremely puzzled Kim Friedman. P.S.: Is this a formatting issue? K.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5192 (20100612) __________

http://www.eset.com