[bksvol-discuss] stripper

  • From: Tracy Carcione <carcione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:34:02 -0500

Riddle me this, and I mean someone who knows, not just someone's guess.
I think that the stripper takes out any line, at the top or bottom of  a
page, with a blank line following (or preceding, if it's at the bottom of
the page.)  If a book has a page number at the top of the page, and a
footnote at the bottom, does the stripper take out both?
The book I'm currently working on has been nicely paragraphed, with a blank
line between each paragraph.  This frequently means a line at the bottom of
the page, preceded by a blank line.  So I've been going through, taking out
the blank lines near the bottom of the page.
I suppose I could just approve it as is and see what the stripper does, but
then there could be a badly mangled book up until I resubmit it, fixed, and
it gets approved, again.
I know many people think the stripper looks for repeating text, but I know
computers, and most programs aren't that smart.  And Kurzweil told me, some
time back, that their header stripper looks for what I said--a line at the
top, followed by a blank line.
If we knew exactly what the stripper looks for, we might defeat it more
successfully, although why I have to jump through hoops to defeat the stupid
thing is a valid question, imho.

Tracy