[bksvol-discuss] Re: spelling

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:25:46 -0400

I totally understand and sympathize. Learning contracted braille is complex and reasonably difficult for a child. For an adult, it may very well be more so.

E.

At 11:28 AM 7/23/2009, you wrote:
That is probably true, but for an adult learning Braille for the first time it is not the easiest thing in the world. I made my first attempt to learn Braille in rehab in 1989 and I felt proud of how well I did, but I simply did not do good enough for any extensive reading. I went ahead and took the Hadley course and passed it, but at the end of that course I was reading about one Braille page in about forty-five minutes and I felt exhausted at the end of that page. I know that the key to success is practice, but the practice was agonizing, so I began to let my practice lapse more and more. Eventually, I got to the point of just using Braille for reading an occasional label. By the way, speaking of my ongoing spelling errors, I remember one post I made on this list in which I spelled the word idle as idyll and I did it ttwice in the same post. No one ever mentioned it, but I was a bit embarrassed anyway.

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine." Che Guevara

The Militant: <http://wwww.themilitant.com>http://www.themilitant.com/txtindex.shtml Pathfinder Press: <http://www.pathfinderpress.com>http://www.pathfinderpress.com Granma International: <http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html>http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html
             _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] spelling
Date:
7/23/2009 10:49:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Roger you point up one of the big reasons for continuing to teach and
learn braille. Braille readers tend to have better spelling than do
people who only use speech.

Elizabeth

Dell Deals: Treat yourself to a sweet deal on popular laptops! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223100673x1201716527/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D7)