[bksvol-discuss] Re: special validator needed

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 20:42:56 -0500

Hi Amy,
Unfortunately, there isn't going to be a way to represent music so that readers
using speech and braille can interpret it. There is such a thing as braille
music, but it's a whole separate code which the Bookshare translator won't be
able to handle at all. It is also so fiendishly complicated that very few
people can even read it, including accomplished musicians. To the best of my
knowledge there's know way to represent music with speech, or if there is it
requires a very expensive and specialized program. Is it important that the
reader of the book be able to actually read the music, or could someone put in
a description like "Below is the sheet music for Jingle Belles" or whatever it
might be?

Advanced math will run you into some of the same problems as music, because
again there is a separate braille code used to represent it. As far as
fractions, for speech and braille both it would be much better to write 1 1/2
than used the nonkeyboard fraction symbols, which will probably be
irretrievably mangled in both braille and Daisy.
Maybe Jake or Gerald will have some brilliant alternative ideas, or will know
something I don't about successfully representing these kinds of symbols.

Sorry to be so negative on this,
Kellie