[bksvol-discuss] Re: some questions

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:45:40 -0500

Hi everyone!

My husband, Bruce, who has some sight tole me that the "look inside a book" on Amazon is graphical, so our screen readers can't see what is there.

That was a good idea about getting a librarian to help.

Debby

At 08:05 PM 10/27/2009, Mayrie ReNae wrote
HI Gwen,

Yes, sometimes knowing where chapter headings should go, and what they should say can be tricky. I haven't found a place online to find out this stuff that works for a blind person. The feature that allows a person to look inside a book on Amazon is, unfortunately, not usable by a blind person, at least, not by me. I'm pretty sure a geek could do it, but I'm nowhere near being a geek!

If you are pretty sure that your chapter headings are things like "chapter 1" you can figure out where they go, because those pages may have garbled text at the top that is obviously not the running header of title or author of the book. So, they can be inserted by the proofreader, if said proofreader can determine that a chapter heading is something simple like I said above. The rub comes when chapter headings have actual titles, like little stories. Then sighted assistance is pretty much what we need.

As for page numbers not appearing in books, if Bob is looking at books that he submitted, knowing that page numbers were in the book, and is using Kurzweil to look at the daisy file, Kurzweil doesn't show bookshare's page numbers. It's a Kurzweil problem, a sort of inadequacy on their part, but if he were to look at the xml file in Internet Explorer, he might well discover that the page numbers are indeed in the book.

Does any of that answer your questions? I hope so. Sorry I don't have a better solution for looking inside a book. I'm pretty sure that every single sighted volunteer here has had to help me out with inserting chapter headings in books, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of them and their help! If ever I find a way to find this information by myself, I'll let you know.

You know, if your local librarians are willing to help, and the library has the books you need, and all you need are the pages on which chapter headings should start, they might be able to make you a list of chapter headings and their respective starting pages. Just a thought.

Mayrie