[bksvol-discuss] Re: single quotes

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 19:55:15 -0400

Then I have a question. The British do not actually use apostrophes for quotation marks. They use single quotation marks and then they do not always use those. In American usage double quotation marks are used for the upper level quotation. The opening double quotation marks are upside down in relation to the closing quotation marks. That is what I understand smart quotes to be. If there is a quotation within a quotation then single quotation marks are used and, again, the opening single quotation mark is upside down relative to the closing single quotation mark. If there is a quotation within that inner quotation then the double quotation marks are reverted to and so forth alternating. In British usage it is exactly the opposite. While single quotation marks with the opening quotation mark being upside down in relationship to the closing quotation mark are used for the upper level quotation the double quotation mark is used for an inner quotation and they alternate too. In all cases the closing quotation mark, whether it is double or single, has the opposite orientation to the opening quotation mark. If that orientation difference is what is meant by smart quotes then do the single quotation marks, whether they are British or American in style, need to be changed to resemble apostrophes whether they are single or double?

"Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communistic revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Working people of all countries unite!" - Karl Marx

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com