[bksvol-discuss] Re: single quotes

  • From: "Sue Stevens" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 12:29:06 -0500

I think we are supposed to leave the British quotes alone, just as we are supposed to preserve the British spelling.

Sue S.

-----Original Message----- From: Mike
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:48 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: single quotes

Especially if the spelling is also British, I leave them the way they
are.  I haven't come up with a way to change them that isn't tedious in
the extreme.

And yes, I find it confusing when there are apostrophes for quotes,
apostrophes for contractions, apostrophes for dialect and of course the
random apostrophes put in by the OCR, all in the same book.

UGH!

Misha

On 7/28/2011 12:15 PM, Bob W wrote:
I have a book that uses apostrophes instead of quotes. (I think it's a British thing.). Anyway, I personally hate them. My personal feelings aside, is there another good reason to change them? If so, how do I do it without destroying contractions like couldn't, shouldn't and wouldn't (kind of the opposite of coulda choulda woulda, (never mind)).
Anyway, any ideas appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

-----