[bksvol-discuss] Re: single and double quotes

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:54:41 -0600

I suspect British books just use two apostrophes otherwise known as single
quotes, but I'm only guessing, so don't rely on my theories.  I can't
remember finding a quote within a quote in any of the books I have looked at
with apostrophes instead of quotes.

The other question I have more experience with.  I have worked on books with
close quotes instead of all normal quotes.  The books were scanned by Open
Book, but other programs might cause them, too.  I saw the close quotes in
Kurzweil, so I am pretty sure that you will know about them if they are
there without opening the files in Word.  The same books that had close
quotes usually also had things that were called single quote instead of
apostrophes.  I've never been able to tell the difference between single
quote and apostrophe in Word, but I don't know why that is the case. I'd
love to know the ANSI values of these characters so I could reassure myself
that they really exist and are different. :-)  I'd also like to be reassured
that the bookshare system recognizes and deals with these and other slightly
strange characters properly.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity/