[bksvol-discuss] Re: should validators be required to read through the whole book?

  • From: "Katie Star" <kaitlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 22:29:50 -0700

HI Ernie and all,

Maybe we should hire a more classy high-end stripper that could check the
books and scold these bad scanners when they submit a bad scan.

Expand your wealth at 838gold.com
 
The greatest problem in communication is the illusion that it has been
accomplished.
- George Bernard Shaw

 
Katie Hill
Kaitlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of k4zq
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 5:49 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: should validators be required to read through
the whole book?

Evan,

Your second point is more cogent.  What I meant was exactly as you put it.

A validator doesn't necessarily have to read the entire book, however, he 
(or she) should either reject a poor scan, or fix it up.

You said that, didn't you?

Peace,

Ernie
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:18 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: should validators be required to read through 
the whole book?


> True, but I think that puts too much onus on the validator when it should 
> be on the submitter.  Submitters get five times as much credit per book as

> validators do, and while many validators are not in it for the money, they

> certainly shouldn't be held responsible for poor-quality books getting 
> into the collection because they didn't read through and fix them up. 
> Perhaps they should be held responsible for a poor-quality book getting 
> into the collection because they didn't reject it, so your point two below

> is valid. You don't need to read through a whole book to recognize a poor 
> scan and reject it.  If you are saying that a person shouldn't be 
> validating because he/she didn't read through a poor scan and fix it up, 
> then I would disagree with that.  On the other hand, if you are saying 
> that a person shouldn't be validating because they didn't reject a 
> poor-quality book because they didn't take the time to at least do enough 
> checking to determine the scan quality and reject it, then I would agree 
> with that.
>
> By the way, I noticed that you no longer have the word Peace at the bottom

> of your messages.  Have you given up on that? <grin>
>
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "k4zq" <k4zq@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 1:41 PM
> Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: should validators be required to read 
> through the whole book?
>
>
>> Of course, it would be on the honor system.  However, if an extremely 
>> poor quality book was submitted, one could conclude one of two things:
>>
>> 1  The validator didn't read the book,
>>
>> and, 2:  this particular person shouldn't be validating anyway.
>>
>> Ernie
>> ----- Original Message ----- 
>> From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 2:29 PM
>> Subject: [bksvol-discuss] should validators be required to read through 
>> the whole book?
>>
>>
>>> There is no way of knowing if a validator reads through the whole book. 
>>> So I cannot understand how this could be made a requirement.
>>>
>>> E.
>>>
>>> To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
>>> bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list

>>> of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject 
>>> line.
>>>
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> No virus found in this incoming message.
>>> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>>> Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.11.5/425 - Release Date: 
>>> 8/22/2006
>>>
>>>
>>
>> To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
>> bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list 
>> of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.
>>
>>
>
> To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
> bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list 
> of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.
>
>
> -- 
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.11.5/425 - Release Date: 8/22/2006
>
> 

 To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.


 To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of 
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.

Other related posts: