[bksvol-discuss] Re: several books on collection with no synopsis as of today

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rob Turner <rob.t@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Beaver <dbeaver888@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 09:33:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dan,

The new books in the collection without synopses are all from publishers.  We
are working with various publishers to allow them to bulk-load hundreds (or
thousands) of their books into the Bookshare collection. The process by which
they bulk-load books is not perfect, especially in dealing with meta-data (the
title, author, copyright holder, copyright date, synopses, ISBN, etc). We often
have to change a lot of the meta-data fields of their books in order to make
the meta-data conform to our rules. (For example, yesterday they bulk-loaded a
book by "Barbara Keesling, Ph. D.". We don't allow honorifics, so I had to
change the author to "Barbara Keesling". Another book had the author "John
Cassidy and B.C. Rimbeaux" which I had to change to "John Cassidy, B. C.
Rimbeaux".)
Most publishers don't have a little synopsis under 250 characters associated
with each of their books, so we have several people who have been tasked with
adding synopses whenever someone spots a book without one. They will be adding
synopses to the new books shortly.

Hope this explanation helps!  Carrie

Hello Dan,
Thank you for letting us know about the missing synopses. I am copying
Carrie, in Collection Development, even though she monitors the
Volunteer Discussion list.

Regards,
Rob Turner
email: rob.t@xxxxxxxxxxxx