[bksvol-discuss] Re: science fiction or urban fantasy? Tird Lynx & Wolfen

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 22:35:41 -0500

Hi all,

G. Cindy, the difference between Science Fiction and Urban Fantasy is that Science Fiction is based upon existing technology which is expanded and possibly changed, but is based on true scientific principals. Urban Fantasy, indeed all fantasy is characterized by the use of either magic (the ability to change the laws of physics by wishing or by thinking or by envoking a spell), or the use of mythical creatures, e.g. fairies, elves, dwarves, dragons, etc. this is not equivalent to space aliens as in Science Fiction. Aliens are creatures which have been imagined based on existing physical laws, e.g. short squat people from worlds with higher gravity than ours, creatures who can fly because tey come from lighter gravity worlds.

I've just read two books which may illustrate this. The first one was Spinneret by Timothy Zahn. which postulates a consortium of alien races and a planet where there are machines which make cable out of metal. There are aliens, but no magic. On the other hand, I just finished To Visit The Queen, by Diane Duane, an Urban Fantasy, has cats who speak and who do magic.

Does this clarify?   Can I be of further help?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring