[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanning questions

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:13:39 -0400

Hi Tim. When I needed a cheap scanner, I bought a Canon CanoScan Lide 25 and
later the Lide 70. They are fast, small, and slim enough to fit into a
laptop bag. The trade-off is that they don't scan as well as more expensive
models from Epson or the OpticBook. I learned to get reliable results from
my Canon, so it can definitely be done.

Another option you might consider is buying a used scanner from EBay. Mayrie
and I have both done this with good results. You can often get Epson
Perfection scanners at a good price. The Epson Perfection 1650 and 1660 are
somewhat older scanners that get great results. A newer Epson model 4490 is
what many of our active scanners use. You can find these on EBay for about
half the price you'd pay in a store. The 1650 and 1660 aren't made new
anymore, and people tend to sell them when they upgrade to something new.

I hope this helps you.

Monica Willyard