[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanning question & Isaac's Storm

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 01:08:35 -0700 (PDT)

-Kelly,

I'll add my two cents worth--Covers don't scan well as
a general rule, but I type them in--putting front
cover and back cover in brackets. I also scan the
front flap and back flap. I  put all these in the
frontm, but I know Shelley generally puts them in the
back. I add them to books that don't have them when I
validate. What people also seem to scan are the pages
that have other books by the author; I  think that's
optional, but the general feeling is that people might
like to read those if they like the first book. I know
that's how I started reading other Bertrice Small
books, and Isaac's Storm after reading The Devis in
the White City.

BTW,  Isaac's Storm is in the collection. It's about
the 1900 devastation of Galveston by a catagory 4
hurricane. It's very readable, and with Rita headed
toward the Texas coast, it's timely. I understand
Galveston this time has been evacuated. Only the mayor
and city manager are staying. The 1900 hurricane was
the deadliest  catastrophic even in the U.S. I read
today that so far 1000 have been killed in Katrina;
Galveston's dead numbered 6,000--more according to
another report.