[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanning paperback books

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 16:24:31 -0400

You know, I've heard that brightness has no bearing on grayscale before,, but I
could swear that changing it has affected the quality of my scans. I generally
do not use it for books, although the optimizer does go with it every now and
then, but when scanning difficult print, such as that on back covers of
paperbacks or inside flaps of hardcovers, grayscale can give better results
than static or dynamic. Maybe it's just random variations, but it seems that
changing brightness can influence those results. I've scanned over 400 books,
so I think I've gotten pretty good at noticing variations in scan quality by
now, and I don't think I'm prone to imagine something like that.

Evan