[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanning error with Last Days of the Incas

  • From: Scott Berry <sberry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:24:32 -0500

Grandma Cindy wrote:
My guess is that the missing word is buildings, but
the book is in transit to my branch. When it comes, I
can just tell you the missing word or sentences.

If you keep track of the pages with missing words,
then you can send me the paragraphs or pages. If
there's a lot or a whole page missing, I can scan and
validate it and send it to you. If there are just a
few words, I can tell you what they should be.

Cindy

--- Scott Berry <sberry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello there,

I see in this

page that there is som info missing.  If you read
down to the word main and then read the next line
there is something missing and I am unsure what it
is.  I am aassuming then that this page should be
rescanned.  Is this correct?

Here is the page with the problem:

no good grass like that in Spain. There are also
wild turnips [potatoes] that are bitter. There are
many herds of sheep [llamas and alpacas], which go
about in flocks with their shepherds who watch over
them and keep them away from the sown fields. They
have a certain part of [each] province set apart for
them [the herds] to winter in. The people, as I have
said, are very polite and intelligent and always go
about dressed and with footwear. They eat cooked and
raw corn and drink a lot of chicha, which is a
beverage made from corn that is much like beer. The
people are very friendly and very obedient and [yet]
warlike. They have many weapons of diverse sorts, as
has been told.
Like Cortes's men gaining their first glimpse of
Tenochtitlan�the capital of the Aztecs that his
fellow Spaniards likened to a city more wondrous
than Venice�when the three travelers finally
arrived
in Cuzco, after more than a month of being carried
ever southward, they, too, were stunned by what they
beheld. Nestled on a hillside that opened into a
broad valley at 11,300 feet, the Incas' mountain
capital appeared like some medieval town in the
Swiss Alps, with smoke rising from the thatched
roofs of its high-gabled houses and with green
hillsides and snow-and-ice-covered mountains rising
in the distance. "This city is the greatest and
finest that has ever been seen in this realm or even
in the Indies," the Spaniards later wrote the king.
"And we can assure your Majesty that it is so
beautiful and has such fine buildings that it would
be very remarkable even in Spain." Wrote Sancho de
la Hoz:
[It is] full of the palaces of the lords. . . . The
greater part of these houses are made of stone and
others have half of the facade of stone . . . the
streets are laid out at right angles. They are very
straight and are paved with stones and down the
middle runs a gutter for water and lined with
stone... . The plaza is square and the greater part
of it is flat and paved with small stones. Around it
are four palaces of lords, which are the main
 All wild potatoes contain toxic glycoalkaloids,
giving them a bitter taste. Those that grow at
elevations of more than nine thousand feet and are
frost-resistant have even higher concentrations of
them. The Incas and their ancestors freeze-dried
potatoes, a process of alternately freezing,
crushing, and then drying potatoes that served to
break down the glycoalkaloids and also made their
storage easier. The Incas called the finished,
freeze- dried product chuno; it was and still is an
essential ingredient in traditional Andean stews.
110

--
Scott Berry
Email:  sberry@xxxxxxxxxxx

Yeah I have been trying to keep track of that. If it's okay I will send you

a doc file with the page numbers would that help Cindy?

--
Scott Berry
Email:  sberry@xxxxxxxxxxx