[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanning

  • From: "Dornetta" <dornetta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:53:57 -0400

Hey Reggie,
I feel as you. I am considering scanning but am still somewhat leery. I
would want to get it right and the scans I do for myself are awful at best.
I already know that a lot of it has to do with my scan setting for Open Book
and although I am doing the "research" to get corrected there is still the
problem that exist.
As far as Roger's comment about the "hold fors" on the list; as a first time
volunteer I felt like this community was cliquish  when I went on the list
to check out a book. There where so many "hold fors" and I didn't know what
it meant. I have since ditched that impression and decided to work on
whatever I can. I didn't find anything I was interested in proffing at first
and just checked out a book to get started with the proofing process-I have
since ditched that format as well. Now as a volunteer it takes me what I can
only explain as forever because I am always checking and re-reading my
proofs to the point that the times that I do not get on line, my book
expires and with the quickness it gets taken by another volunteer. I said
this to say that honestly the hold fors don't really bother that much since
the books that have hold fors on them are not in my interest anyway. Most of
the books that I am interested in does not seem to be books that someone on
this list will pick up and that is fine and the reason why I am considering
scanning. I only hope to develop a relationship with a proofer that would
like to proof the book for me.
S/N: this stems from a conversation that we have in most of the book club I
am in. All but 2 of us are blind and the blind/v.i. people use book share to
get their reading material. There are not many books in one of the genres we
like to read.
Netta