[bksvol-discuss] scanners, scanners, scanners

  • From: "Devorah Greenstein" <DGreenstein@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:11:44 -0400

Good morning,

I am a newbie sighted volunteer, happily validating away, learning about
em dashes, page numbers, paragraph spaces, headers, etc.

But I'd like to try my hand at scanning books too. So, inquiring among
you more techie Booksharians, my questions are:

Are there any "all-in-one" copier/scanner/fax machines that have the
ability to do what is needed, with reasonable resolution and speed, to
get a book scanned for Bookshare?

My local craigslist is always listing flatbed scanners for $10 and up,
some of them say that they are photo scanners. Would these work?

Some craigslist scanners are just plain old scanners. Today, for example
there's a HP ScanJet 3300C for $15. Would this work?

What criteria do I need to use to select a scanner?

Suppose I decide to take the plunge and buy a high speed scanner (and
figure out some way to slice off book spines).

What's the cheapest I could get away with for a high speed scanner?

I have even more questions, but let me start with these.

Much appreciation for sharing your communal wisdom!

Devorah