[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:15:05 -0400

The info on supported scanners for Openbook V5 and above is at:

http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_support/openbooksl5.asp

The following is the excerpt taken from this page regarding the
Visioneer OneTouch 9000 scanner.

? This scanner was tested using OneTouch v3.0 drivers.
Test Results:
? Is scanning free of any external dialogs? No. An external TWAIN dialog displays during scanning. This dialog does not display in Windows XP or ME if
the WIA driver is available and selected, but you must manually select the WIA driver. This external dialog hides the OpenBook dialog that displays OpenBook's
scanning/OCR progress. The external dialog automatically closes and focus returns to OpenBook after scanning is complete. The external dialog may also
interfere with canceling a scan and background scanning.
? Can this scanner scan a legal-sized document? No, there is no way to scan legal-sized documents. The scanner does not have an automatic document feeder
(ADF), and the scanning area is only 11.7 inches long.
? Using this scanner, can a user change the scanning contrast from within OpenBook? No. Contrast cannot be altered using OpenBook.
? Using this scanner, can a user cancel scanning from within OpenBook? Yes, scanning can be canceled through OpenBook. However, due to the external TWAIN
dialog that displays, you may need to press ALT+TAB to display OpenBook's scanning dialog and then activate the Cancel button. Alternatively, activate
the Cancel button on the external TWAIN dialog first, and then cancel the scan through OpenBook. In either case, you must activate the Cancel button in
both dialogs. If you use WIA drivers, you only need to activate the Cancel button in the OpenBook scanning dialog.
? Can this scanner scan in the background? Yes. However, using the TWAIN drivers causes an external dialog to display. You can instruct OpenBook to read
the document, begin scanning in the background, ALT+TAB back to OpenBook, and then start reading again. Alternatively, you can begin scanning in the background,
then ALT+TAB back to OpenBook, and then begin reading. Using WIA drivers in Windows XP or ME does not display an external dialog, so you can scan in the
background normally.
? Did this scanner pass the 500 page stress test? Yes. This scanner was able to handle the stress of continuous scanning.
? How long does this scanner take to scan a page using OpenBook?s default settings? This scanner's average scan time with OpenBook's default settings is
about 25 seconds per page.
Notes:
? The Visioneer OneTouch 9000 offers a USB2.0 interface. Windows 98, ME, 2000, and XP are supported.
? In Windows ME and XP, OpenBook will not automatically recognize this scanner. You must manually select the desired scanner driver in OpenBook.
? If you use the TWAIN driver and turn color scanning on, setting the contrast level to anything other than ?Automatic? causes OpenBook to generate errors
and shut down. Use WIA drivers in Windows XP or ME to prevent this problem.
? When using ?Unknown TWAIN using: Visioneer Scan Manager Pro," sometimes the external dialog is unresponsive when you activate the Scanning button.
? It is recommended that you download the latest version of
twainscn.ini
and save it to OpenBook's installation directory. This updates OpenBook's list of known scanners, which includes this scanner.
? More information can be found on the 9000 at
Visioneer's
website.
http://www.visioneer.com/

As I would be using either Windows ME or XP, some of the pitfalls regarding drivers would seem to be avoidable with this scanner. I guess what I'm thinking is, that for $37.50 + shipping, I could just about half my time to scan a page, provided I was happy with the scan.
I don't know anything about Visioneer and their products, as I've only ever used a couple of different HPs, a Canon, and an Epson.

Dave

At 10:14 AM 5/26/2004, you wrote:

What's the propaganda from Freedom about this scanner? Point us to a URL if you can.

Guido