[bksvol-discuss] Re: "scan" from within computer?

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 23:56:57 -0600

Hi Charisma,

Like Mayrie said, any OCR software should be able to take the image and make it into editable text. I actually use a camera to take an image and then process the image with Omnipage when I need something OCRed, as I have a camera with high resolution that has a nice text setting on it. It's very difficult because of physical limitations for me to use a scanner, while I can manage holding a camera, so I've learned to do this as needed.

Since you're sighted like me, you can use a graphics package if the page image you have is too low resolution to OCR well. You can use a graphics package to increase the dpi, grayscale the image, and increase it in size and turn it into an uncompressed tif format, all of which can help OCR software recognize text better.

Judy s.
Charisma wrote:
I have a question.

Say I have a picture of text on my computer--that is, an image of a
book page rather than an editable text scan--can I use any software to
read that and make it into editable text?

I am not sure if I said that clearly.

Example:  I scanned a book into my computer as photographs of the
pages. Is there any application I can use to "read" that photograph
and convert it into text?