[bksvol-discuss] Re: running headers

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 09:13:55 -0500

I find them very annoying when listening to books, especially when they are in the middle of the sentence. I didn't find them annoying when reading actual braille books, though. I don't have the privilege of a braille display, so can't say how inconvenient they would be in that situation.

Melissa

Bob wrote:
You are right Cindy, listening to a book read by synthetic speech, or reading it in Braille, one does not have the privilege of skipping a running header. But, personally, I don't see anything wrong with leaving them in. They are short and vaguely annoying but in the case of story or chapter titles, can be very helpful in tracking one's progress as Roger pointed out in an earlier message. This is especially helpful when sleep overtakes the reader and his/her book goes on merrily reading away while the reader blissfully dreams dreams.. They are a pain to remove as they usually reside on the same line as the honorable page number. And can take up a lot of time removing them. In short, I for one would be in favor of just leaving the blooming things alone. I'd like to hear others views on this: running headers, good or bad. Thanks.
Bob
"A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain."
        From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Little Book
        To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Date: Tuesday, August 18, 2009, 3:13 PM

        Dear Bud;

        I just noticed that you also are a ham radio operator. I am
        also in my call
        sign is: N0HSJ
        you, and that was
        talking about all headers have been deleted. Do you mean at
        the top of the
        page were sometimes it has the title and/or the name of the
        chapter? I have
        not been deleting these, as I think they provide visual cues
        for sighted
        readers, but if I should be deleting them, I will start with
        my next book.
        Or, is it okay to do it whichever way and just make a note in the
        submissions?

        Thanks as always for everyone's help!

        Valerie

        Please pray for Doug's Dad & visit his website:

        http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/billkoonce

        </mc/compose?to=bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>