[bksvol-discuss] Re: requesting "OverTime" and "All in"

  • From: Marilyn <mmbeagle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 21:32:50 -0500

Hi, JIm.  Hi, all.

All:  I'm going to need proofreaders for these books that Jim requested.

Jim, I was interested in "Over Time" the last time you requested it, and I
won't miss out on it this time -- it sounds great!  I requested it at my
library and I'm Number 2 on the Waiting List.  That plus it being 354 pages
with 16 pages of photos, maps, faxes, etc., this is going to take some time.
Booklist's review is below:
*Starred Review* Deford went to work for Sports Illustrated in 1962, fresh out
of college. Since then, in addition to magazine work, he's won a Peabody and an
Emmy, written 10 novels, and delivered more than 1,500 commentaries on NPR's
Morning Edition. His accomplishments are many, but in this wildly entertaining
and informative memoir, he refers to himself only as the scrivener. His
subjects are what matters, and he gives them their due, as in a poignant
chapter on the late Wilt Chamberlain, which offers more insight into that
enigmatic basketball icon than any half-dozen books. Fortunately, despite the
self-deprecating tone, Deford does portray the highlights of his remarkable
career, including his early stint covering the NBA at a time when players flew
commercial, played doubleheaders to boost the gate, and hung out with
sportswriters because they could expense the bar tab. He was also ahead of the
pack in covering women's sports, especially tennis, and he offers some insight
into why women's team sports have never moved beyond a niche level of
popularity in the U.S. A lifetime sportswriter, he's very aware of the history
of his craft, and, along the way, he shares his thoughts on then-and-now,
including pointed anecdotes on some sportswriting legends from the past. Put
this one on the shelf alongside such other classic sportswriters' memoirs as
Robert Lipsyte's An Accidental Sportswriter (2011), Roger Kahn's Into My Own
(2006), and Ira Berkow's Full Swing (2006).

Jim, much to my surprise, I ended up being first on the waiting list for "All
In."  It is 394 pages with 8 pages of photos, maps, etc.  The summary is below:
General David Petraeus is the most transformative leader the American military
has seen since the generation of Marshall. In All In, military expert Paula
Broadwell examines Petraeus's career, his intellectual development as a
military officer, and his impact on the U.S. military. Afforded extensive
access by General Petraeus, his mentors, his subordinates, and his longtime
friends, Broadwell embedded with the general, his headquarters staff, and his
soldiers on the front lines of fighting and at the strategic command in
Afghanistan to chronicle the experiences of this American general as they were
brought to bear in the terrible crucible of war. All In draws on hundreds of
hours of exclusive interviews with Petraeus and his top officers and soldiers
to tell the inside story of this commander's development and leadership in war
from every vantage point. When Petraeus assumed command in Afghanistan in July
2010, the conflict looked as bleak as at any moment in America's nine years on
the ground there. Petraeus's defining idea-counterinsurgency-was immediate put
to its most difficult test: the hard lessons learned during the surge in Iraq
were to be applied in a radically different theater. All In examines the impact
in Afghanistan of new counterinsurgency as well as counterterrorism strategies
through the commands of several Petraeus protégés. To inform this unprecedented
reporting of Petraeus's command in Afghanistan, Broadwell examines his
evolution as a solider from his education at West Point in the wake of Vietnam
to his earlier service in Central America, Haiti, Kuwait, Bosnia, and Iraq. All
In also documents the general's role in the war in Washington, going behind the
scenes of negotiations during policy reviews of the war in Afghanistan in
Congress, the Pentagon, and the White House. Broadwell ultimately appraises
Petraeus's impact on the entire U.S. military: Thanks to this man's influence,
the military is better prepared to fight using a comprehensive blend of
civil-military activities. As America surveys a decade of untraditional
warfare, this much is clear: The career of General David Petraeus profoundly
shaped our military and left an indelible mark on its rising leaders.

Thanks to all,
Marilyn
mmbeagle@xxxxxxxxx

We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great great love.
--Mother Teresa