[bksvol-discuss] Re: removing characters that aren't on the keyboard

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 19:26:57 -0400

Hi, Terra. You're doing an awesome job. (smile) I know some of these things can seem confusing at first. You're asking questions, and that's a good way to learn. Jim Pardee has a file of characters you can use to paste into the find and replace dialog box. I'll paste in a broken bar symbol for example and replace it with nothing, using replace all to get rid of the character. What program are you using for validating books? If you use Jaws, you can also use the Jaws key plus the number 4 on the number row. It will pop up a list of symbols. If you hit enter on a symbol, it will put that symbol into your document. You can select it, copy it to the clipboard, and paste it into the find and replace box. If you're validating in Kurzweil or Openbook, you can open a new file in Notepad and use Jaws to create the symbols in it. Maybe Jim Pardee will be kind enough to post his file with symbols and tell us how he uses it. He's got scanning and validating down to a science with his handy file. If this were a martial art, Jim would have a black belt for sure. (grin)

Keep up the good work, Terra. You're doing just fine. (smile)

Monica Willyard

Terra Syslo wrote:
Hi, I went to the site with the tips on removing characters not on a
keyboard, but when I try and paste that line in and search for these symbols
it says no text was selected. How do I get a file of these symbols so I can
go through he books and make sure to remove them?