[bksvol-discuss] Re: removing a table

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:12:45 -0500

Hi Sue and Netta,

First you have to figure out if the table in question has any data in it you
want to preserve. Sometimes tables have only random junk characters, or the
header of a page has been put into a table and you can delete the whole
thing. Other times, an entire page or part of it will be put into a table,
and you want the text, minus the table.

In either case, you have to select the table before you can do anything with
it.

I believe this works in both Word 2007 and 2010, although I am only able to
test in 2007.

Make sure your cursor is within the table you want to work with.

Now press alt, followed by j, k, l, t. This will select the table and you
can then convert it to text or delete the whole thing.

To delete the table and everything in it, just press delete after selecting
it.

To convert the table to text, press alt followed by j, l, v.

Now you'll be asked which character you want to use to separate the data in
the table. I believe the default is a tab character. Tab to OK and you
should be back in your document with the table converted to text. You will
still have to figure out what to do with the data you have left, but the
table itself will be gone.

Hope this is what you're looking for...

Deborah