[bksvol-discuss] Re: rejecting a book or using time wisely

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:00:19 -0500

Hi E,
If a validator can discern where page breaks belong and chooses to insert
them rather than reject the book, that is his/her choice. If there's no way
to tell where the breaks should go, then the book would have to be rejected.
Many people read their validations all the way through anyway, and if that's
what you do then inserting page breaks is very simple and not time
consuming.

I do agree with your point that submitters should make sure their books meet
Bookshare standards, but I would not reject an otherwise excellent scan just
because someone didn't have their scanner set to two-page mode.

I know everyone has different feelings on this topic, and yours are just as
valid as mine. But I think that as long as someone is happy doing the
validating they do, and they are able to submit acceptable final products to
Bookshare, then he/she has the right to make these choices independently. Of
course, suggestions for improving efficiency are great, but when you're
dealing with a volunteer organization there can be things at stake beyond
efficiency.

Just some thoughts,
Kellie