[bksvol-discuss] rejecting a book

  • From: "Jill O'Connell" <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:14:09 -0700

I know this is preaching to the choir, but I had to reject a book that might have been saved if it hadn't been submitted by "a bookshare volunteer." The sad thing is that the book had been very carefully scanned but there were twice as many pages as there should have been and no matter how long I worked trying to merge pages, the lack of consistency was troublesome and I'm not at all sure I could have produced an excellent scan. With no way to contact the submitter to see if together we could solve the problem, I reluctantly rejected the book. After the thread yesterday I even wonder if the problem wasn't with the scanner but possibly with the changing of file format. So I hope if any of you have a chance to influence a volunteer, please urge them to give their contact information when submitting if they don't have the time or desire to be on this list.