[bksvol-discuss] Re: reading with braille display

  • From: Tracy Carcione <carcione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:35:20 -0400 (EDT)

When I read in Braille from my computer, I read the BRF file, and turn down the speech.
My BRF files come up in Wordpad, so I could easily put in a bookmark, like writing the word "bookmark". I've also gotten good at translating in my head, so I can use find and type in the Grade 2 braille symbols. Scary, that.
Usually though, I just copy the BRF to my Braille Lite, and read them that way.
HTH
JTracy

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Sarah Van Oosterwijck wrote:

Yes, that is true unless you have some special software to deal with
braille.  Another possibility would be to turn off grade II translation in
your screen reader, which might allow you to read the brf file from wordpad
or something.  That will work if the screen reader and display really don't
do any interpreting of the characters being sent, but if you try to find
your place with your computer it will be a big garble. :-)

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity