[bksvol-discuss] Re: reading in mp3Re: Re: question: Re: page breaks

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:36:35 -0500

Mike,

I hope you've never tried reading those books in braille.  Even if you have,
your speech understanding and/or braille understanding are such that you may
be able to decode meaning out of that type  of rubbish.  By definition these
romance books are supposed to be simple to read.  I might as well read a
Philip Roth or a Toni Morrison Novel at that rate.  A reading service that
cannot provide the type of reading pleasure without headaches of decoding
attempts needs to reconsider its mission.  Bookshare is providing books for
those who do not otherwise have access to such material.  That does not mean
that bookshare should be held to different quality standards.  Even if
submitters are using out-of-date pieces of software, the type of quality
apparent in some of these selections is, in my opinion, unacceptable.  For
this particular culprit, it's even more amazing that  he/she fails to
provide even the barest detail about the selection.  I've never found the
categories filled in, the short sinnapsis field says "harloquin Romance,"
and the long sinapsis field is left empty.  At this stage of Bookshare's
development, if there isn't some type of quality control imposed, you are
likely to have an unmanageable system with chaos.

Sorry for  the rant, folks.

Prat

Pratik Patel
Interim Director