[bksvol-discuss] Re: reading every word while validating

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 10:47:16 -0800 (PST)

I know many, perhaps most, sighted people, my husband
included, don't like to read books or even newspaper
articles online. It doesn't bother me at all, I don't
know why.

You're correct about people, myself included, seeing
hings inprint as they are spposed to be rather than as
they are, like your example of the two "the's" in the
sentence. (There's also a trick sentence where people
are supposed to say how many "of's" are in the
sentence, and they usually miss one, at least.) That's
why I always do a spell-check after I've finishe the
validation. I almost always find some words I've
missed because my brain read them correctly. I also
Find and replace a word that's spelled correctly but
is the wrong word for the context, like modem instead
of modern right when I'm correcting it, for fear I'll
miss it if I see it later.

I do what you do, feeling as you do, that we can read
the print books, and, like you, I validate books that
other people have said need a sighted validator, or
books that are still txt (which cause others  problems
because of lack of page breaks) or books that have
been on the list for a long time. I avoid technical
books, though, mainly because I can't get the print
book, since I get my books from the public library
system rather than a university system. If I did take
those, I'd do them the way you do, unless I found them
interesting. I started Medieval Italy but part way
through gave up on reading and did what you do--fixing
page breaks, numbering pages, catching scannos that
might show up. Sometimes if the book is long and has a
lot of unusual words or names, like Archaeology of the
Lands of the Bible, or the Kipling poetry book I'm
working on now, which has a lot of dialect, I don't do
a spell-check, trusting that I've caught most errors.

I appreciate what you do as much as the bookshare
members do, especially since you're so willing to
describe illustrations for children's books and
because you can obtain books that I can't. I hope you
didn't think I was being critical. I certainly didn't
mean my questions or comments to sound that way.